Friday 29 November 2013

Mushroom and Bacon Frittata

I started off making frittatas just for me and my son but it's a sign of a recipe which is a pretty good one when I start making it for myself when he's already in bed!

Another frittata recipe.  Yes, I know, but they are good value, delicious, great warm or cold and a fantastic way to include both eggs and vegetables in your diet.  For some reason my body was craving eggs and mushrooms today and I went with it.  I didn't twig until I'd finished my meal how I'd chosen two foods high in dietary vitamin D.  What could I be craving?  Sunshine of course.  Now the nights are drawing in, our bodies aren't seeing the light so much so what could be better?





Mushroom and Bacon Frittata - Serves 2 adults easily

Ingredients

80g, 3oz Smoked bacon
100g, 3.5oz Mushrooms
100g, 3.5oz Red onion, finely diced
1 tsp Olive oil
4 Eggs
3 tbsp Milk
1 and a half tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
60g, 2oz Extra Mature (Extra Sharp) Cheddar
A few sprigs of fresh thyme

Method

Preheat an oven to 180oC, 350F, Gas Mark 4.

Chop up the bacon and fry in a non stick frying pan until cooked, remove to a bowl to cool.  Put the onions and oil into the frying pan and cook until softening and then add in the mushrooms and cook until browned.  Add into the bowl to cool.

In a jug, mix the eggs, milk, cornflour and grated cheddar.

Mix the egg mix with the vegetables and bacon.  Add in a little thyme and pour into a greased, lined baking dish.  Mine is 15-17cm, 6-6.5inch round baking dish but flares out a bit from the base from this diameter.

Bake for 18-22 minutes or until cooked and firm.




Allow to cool a little and cut into wedges to serve or allow to cool completely.


Make it Thrifty:

Look out for bacon offcut packs as these are often a much more cost effective way of buying bacon to cook with.

4 comments:

  1. How much corn flour as it is not in ingredients list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SOOOO sorry! I've putted it in now. Thanks for pointing it out!

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely! Thank you for joining in with Thrifty Thursday again :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.