Thursday 24 October 2013

Broccoli frittata for babies, toddlers and the whole family

I'm in a frittata place at the moment.  Blimey, how middle class does that sound?  It shouldn't.  Frittatas are so cheap to make and they're a great way to get vitamin D in the diet and also include some hidden vegetables.  Great for the reluctant vegetable eater in your life (although perhaps chop up a little smaller so they don't see them!)




Broccoli Frittata Serves 1 adult and 1 toddler easily

Ingredients

70g, 2.5oz smoked bacon, chopped
100g, 3.5oz broccoli
3 eggs
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
60g, 2oz Extra mature (sharp) cheddar, grated
Spray oil or oil to grease

Method

Preheat the oven to 180oC, 350F, Gas mark 4.

Chop the broccoli into small florets or pieces (see "make it thrifty" below) put in boiling water on a hot hob for 4 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water.

Meanwhile, chop up the bacon and fry in a dry non stick frying pan.

Once the bacon is cooked, mix the egg, milk, cornflour, cheddar, broccoli and bacon together.



Line a 15-17cm, 6-6.5inch round baking dish with non stick baking paper (mine flares out a bit from the base from this diameter).  Spray or grease with oil.  Pour in the frittata mixture.

Bake for 15-20 minutes (it took 15 in my oven).

Leave to cool for a bit, it's better served warm or cold rather than hot.  This is what makes it a great food for kids who take their time over food but also it's great if cooking for one as the leftovers can go in your lunchbox.



For very young babies, chop up the vegetables very finely and perhaps reduce the bacon a bit as it can be a bit salty.



Serve with vegetables or salad.  Somehow even though these aren't necessarily summery ingredients, frittata feels summery even on the most dreary day.  This was the view out of the window as we were eating.


Make it Thrifty:

A pretty cheap recipe as it is but make it cheaper by making use of the broccoli stalk as well as the florets.  Just trim off the end and cut into an approx 1cm / half inch dice and cook like normal broccoli florets.  In the above photos, I used approx half and half florets to diced stalk, I think you'd agree, you'd struggle to spot that!


It just so happens that January's Family Foodies challenge is all about 'hidden goodies'.  Is there a more appropriate challenge for Mamacook?  I think not!  So I've submitted this along with a few other recipes to Bangers and Mash and Eat your veg's challenge:

12 comments:

  1. That looks so nice. I wouldn't have thought of it as toddler or baby food at all when I saw your picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I suppose that sums up my ethos to children's food. I don't like to patronise by doing the smiley face thing, I like to serve good food to my child. My 3 year old was sat in a restaurant the other day sharing my mussels, chips and aioli and loving it. Ok, not the healthiest food but I love the fact I don't have to feed him smiley faced potato shapes!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good. I've "pinned" it so I remember the recipe so I can try it one day. Thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! You can mix up the ingredients for what you have in.

      Delete
  3. Wow that looks so yummy, I think my boys would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had a courgette and Cheddar fritatta in a restaurant and loved it. Must try your recipe. Just had a look at your pot roast recipe too, which looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you. I hope you enjoy. I think there's something fantastic about the just warm frittata, it's like the best bit of a quiche but without the pastry that's not all that great for you.

      Delete
  5. That looks lovely, I'm going to have to try it. Thank you for joining in and linking up with Thrifty Thursday. I have tweeted and pinned your entry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're big fans of frittatas in our house - totally agree they're a great way to sneak a few veggies into the little ones. And yours looks absolutely delicious - not just for the kids. Another great entry for January's Family Foodies challenge. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love the leftovers as lunch box fodder! I have to keep making larger ones so there's some left over... :-)

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.