Monday 8 October 2012

Wholemeal Apple Pancakes

They say necessity is the mother of invention, well the cupboards are a bit bare but I really fancied pancakes for breakfast so this is what I came up with.  Things are very, very tough in the Mamacook household and in the absence of someone to look after me today, sometimes you have to do a bit of looking after for yourself.

I think half and half wholemeal self raising to self raising is best but do a bit of trial and error.  Also remember wholemeal is more filling than white so you probably won't need as many as you would have had of the old pancake recipe.




Wholemeal Pancakes - makes about 14-16

Ingredients

225g, 8oz Half and half wholemeal and white self raising flour or use a mixture of plain and wholemeal plain (all purpose) flour and add 2 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
300ml, 10 fl oz milk (whatever kind you like, I used semi skimmed cow's milk)
2 eggs
2 eating apples
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp Baking powder
Butter / margarine to cook
Honey to serve (optional, for over 1's only)

Method

Weigh out the flour and add the baking powder.  Measure out the milk and add in the eggs.  Whisk the eggs and milk and then either using a hand whisk, a blender or stick blender, combine the milk mixture into the flour.   Add in the vanilla and cinnamon then grate in the apples (including the skin but not the core) and mix using a spoon or fork.

Heat a non stick frying pan and rub with butter.  Pour in pancakes to the size you want and then turn when they're starting to have bubbles breaking on the top.  See here for more instructions on cooking pancakes like this.  (Generally it's better to have a low heat than a high one.)

Serve either as they are (great for toddlers and babies) or with a drizzle of honey (over 1's only) or even cold as great finger food.  All american style pancakes freeze well.  Layer them up with non stick baking paper and freeze in boxes, they then can be taken out individually and defrosted as needed.

This is a great way of using apples which aren't as fresh as they once were.  I like a crunchy apple and once they start to soften, they don't get eaten in my house and I hate waste.

If you like you can serve with fresh apple or why not try apple fried with cinnamon with a drizzle of honey?


I've entered this into the Bangers and Mash spice trail on cinnamon:



8 comments:

  1. These sound lovely! No apples in at the mo but I'll definitely give these a go when I get some. Sorry to hear things are rough for you at the moment - take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm trying to. I'm about to go for a run and I've downloaded a couple of new choons to keep me motivated. Running is the cure to all ills at the moment. Looking round my house I only wish housework was as motivating.

      Delete
  2. These sound great, love pancakes and agree that having a bit of wholemeal flour in them makes them a bit more savoury which I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like that touch of savoury with honey or syrup, you can also swap some of the milk with yoghurt which makes them slightly tangy!

      Delete
  3. I love how simple, and seasonal these pancakes are...thanks for sharing them on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for entering this recipe into the No Waste Food Challenge - they look so scrummy! I absolutely looooovvvee pancakes with apples in them. Apples grew on trees where I grew up (we can only get them in the supermarkets where I live now) and I fondly remember many, many apple pancakes as a child. I never thought of grating them into the batter though - clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - apple and cinnamon, such a perfect combination. Thanks for sharing in December's Spice Trail!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.