Friday 3 August 2012

Mint Raita for the whole family

I made this to go with the Tandoori Chicken I blogged about recently.  I thought it would be the thing my son went straight for but actually although he liked it with the chicken, he pulled a face when he ate it on his own.  It is an accompaniment though, great with tikka or tandoori chicken.  The recipe is a touch inauthentic, I've not added salt and most recipes have cumin rather than garam masala and chilli powder.  I've toned it down a touch.

Just be aware that like many natural herbs and spices, mint strength varies.  I picked a handful of home grown mint and barely used a third.  Home grown herbs in my experience tend to pack more of a punch than fresh supermarket alternatives (probably because they are slower to grow) but there are loads of different types of mint too.




Mint Raita

Ingredients

125g Thick Greek Yoghurt
Mint, A few leaves to a small handful, depends on the strength of the mint
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp sugar
Sprinkle of paprika and sprig of mint to garnish

Method

Finely shred the mint.

Mix the yoghurt with the sugar and garam masala and mix in enough mint to give a zing.  Put into a dish and garnish with paprika and mint.



Serve with tandoori chicken or chicken tikka or it helps cool down spicier curries too.

Alternatively a great dip just to have with flat breads (naan, paratha or chapattis).






I've linked this up to this:


BWS tips button

I've also linked this up to the monthly "herbs on a Saturday" challenge:


Herbs on Saturday

5 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. My children love "dipping" their food so a sauce like this would be great and we have some fresh mint in our garden we can use too! I'm finding your site very inspiring. Its easy to cook the same old things so its great to have some new ideas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's comments like this that keeps me doing it!

      Delete
  2. I adore Raita - the cool of the yoghurt and the refreshing mint, just perfect with spicy food - great entry for Herbs on Saturday thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally eat it on its own ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My toddler would disagree! Although he liked it on the chicken I think the texture from the mint was a bit much for him on it's own. I thought it was tasty though, especially with naan bread.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.