Monday 14 May 2012

Mini Quiches for babies and toddlers

It was my son's birthday party this weekend (that was a bit crazy) and this was one of the things I cooked for the kids.  They seemed to go down very well.  A great way to hide some vegetables for the reluctant veggie eater in your life!




Mini Quiches - makes approx 20 meat and 12 vegetarian (but I had some filling left over so you could probably make more.  I totally should have because they'd all gone before I got a look in!)  They would be fine for babies on finger foods onwards.

Ingredients

Shortcrust pastry made from:
280g, 10oz plain flour
60g, 2oz cornflour
225g, 8oz unsalted butter
A few tbsp water
(Or buy some ready made)

Filling
4 eggs
100ml, 3.5 fl oz milk
150ml, 5.25 fl oz single cream (this is cream of around 18% fat in the UK.  Light cream would be fine.)
200g, 7 oz cheddar

Optional ingredients
Cheese and ham:
Cut up pieces of ham; I used black forest ham which has a good smokey flavour even if you don't use very much.
1 onion, chopped up into small pieces and fried in olive oil and butter until translucent

Broccoli and Goats Cheese:
Lightly cooked broccoli (3 mins, mini florets) and a tiny bit of goats cheese added as the tarts are being assembled.

Method

Roll out pastry until very thin, 1-2mm thick and cut into rounds and put into a cupcake tin, a mini muffin tin will work at a stretch and that's what I used for the broccoli ones.  Chill until ready to cook.

Preheat the oven to 180-200oC; 350-400F.

Prick bases using a fork and cook for 5 mins.

Mix egg, cream, milk and cheese.

When you take the bases out of the oven, push down any which have puffed up.

Put filling into base (i.e. a small amount of onions and ham or some broccoli and goats cheese).  Add egg mix, try not to spill over as this will make them difficult to remove (but this is a little tricky!)

Put back in the oven and cook for 13-15 minutes.  Use a blunt knife to ease them out of the pan (where the filling spills over this is a little trickier.)



These can be made in advance, stored in the fridge and reheated in a warm oven at about 150oC for 10 minutes.

Here are the broccoli ones I made in a mini muffin tin:


10 comments:

  1. Love your blog, think I will have to pin everything, so many toddler food ideas and beautiful photography. x

    http://www.belfastmummy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm on Pinterest too and I pin the pictures I'm more pleased with!

      Delete
  2. These are perfect for our little kiddies! Perfect! Thanks for sharing your ideas on "Strut Your Stuff" Saturday! We hope to see you again! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there's something little kids love about "kid sized" food I think!

      Delete
  3. Just wondering if these can be frozen to heat up and serve to my little one at a later stage - and if so, how would one heat them up - microwave or oven?
    *I am looking for things I can make in advance & freeze
    Thanks!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't reply! Quiches generally can be frozen. I would suggest giving it a go, I've not tried it but my suggestion would be to freeze for no longer than a month, defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as the directions above.

      Thanks for the suggestion though, I will give freezing a go, good idea.

      Delete
  4. You do have some lovely things to do with ham!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Absolutely they're best warm but if you want to serve them cold then make them and serve them the same day ideally or else the pastry will soften. Make sure you store them in the fridge when cold to keep them safe. Enjoy!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.