Tuesday 17 January 2012

Spicy Kedgeree Style Rice for Babies and Toddlers

Ok, this is quite a long way from kedgeree but that's what it was inspired by.  Kedgeree is a dish of spiced rice with smoked fish.  In itself it was an invention and inspired by Khichri which is a dish of rice and lentils so if it's ok for the British to take an Indian dish and make it their own, it should be ok for me, right?



Thinking about adapting recipes, it got me thinking how old Kedgeree is as a dish.  It must be in excess of 100 years.  That makes it as old as the hamburger.  I'm looking at wikipedia here, it might not be accurate.

Anyway, if people can adapt hamburgers to their own taste, well why not adapt this?

The result is still the traditional mix of fish and rice but no eggs.  I figure if I'm going to the effort (ok, not considerable effort but effort nonetheless) of cooking a boiled egg, I would be inclined to give my son said boiled egg for lunch with some toast.  I suppose you could be organised and do some at breakfast saving an extra one... Oh who am I kidding?  Anyway, I don't feel it suffered for the lack of eggs nor the lack of smokiness.  Just be warned, this does have a kick, my son is keen on spicy foods despite his 20 month age but you may want to tone it down for your child by using a milder curry paste or less of it.

Spicy kind of kedgeree style rice for babies, toddlers and mummies.  Serves 1 adult, 1 toddler

Ingredients

100g Basmati rice
1tsp Curry paste, I used madras but I suggest you may want to use a milder one (see the note above)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small tomato, diced
70g approx of frozen cooked prawns (frozen weight) allowed to defrost
1tsp garam masala
a handful of frozen peas
Fresh coriander (optional)

Method

Saute the onion in a little oil or spray oil until softening.  Add the paste and the tomato.  Note, if you want to you can prepare up to this point and then leave the paste / onion mixture in the fridge until ready to cook.

Then reheat the paste if necessary and add in the rice.  Stir around for a minute or so then add boiling water to cover plus approx 1.5cm (a generous half inch).  Cover, put the timer on for 10 mins and simmer for that time.

Once 10 mins has passed, check the rice, if it's very nearly cooked add in the prawns, peas and garam masala.  Cook for 1 minute more then take off the heat and allow to stand for 5 mins (covered).



Serve garnishing with coriander if liked.  Allow to cool enough for your little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.